Tavern at the Beekman Arms

The Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

In 1704, William Traphagen established a traveler’s inn, the Traphagen Tavern, at the town crossroads, in Ryn Beck, which was a small settlement being carved out of the forest initially inhabited by the Sepasco Indians and colonized since the 1680s by the Dutch. The Beekman Arms, added in front of and over the original tavern in 1766 has been here at the center of Rhinebeck ever since. Bogardus Tavern, as the inn was known during the last third of the 18th century, helped host the American Revolution. The 4th Regiment of the Continental Army drilled on its front lawn before the war, in 1775. George Washington, Philip Schuyler, Benedict Arnold, and Alexander Hamilton slept here and ate and drank and argued and laughed here during the Revolutionary War. The townsfolk took refuge in the inn while the British burned the state capital, Kingston, across the river. By 1785 the King’s Highway had become the new nation’s Post Road. In 1802, Asa Potter bought the inn from Everadus Bogardus. As Rhinebeck continued to grow in the early 19th century, in both size and popularity as a stage stop between New York City and Albany, the inn welcomed travelers and their horses. It was also the center of the town’s civic growth: it served as the town hall, theater, post office, and newspaper office. In 1918 the inn underwent an extensive renovation, including the addition of today’s ballroom, under the ownership of Tracy Dows. Hyde Park neighbor and U.S President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a frequent guest at the Beekman Arms. He concluded every campaign both for governor and for president, four times, talking from the front porch.

Over the years, few changes have been made to the original structure of strong oaken beams and broad plank floors. In the dining rooms and the taproom, Rhinebeck residents and visitors continue to gather and eat and drink and talk, as they have since 1766. We are a member of the Historic Hotels of America.

The Tavern at The Beekman Arms serves lunch and dinner seven days a week year round and Brunch on Sundays. Their Colonial Tap Room featuring overhead beams, open hearth fireplace, and a charming bar is a must see. Dining is in several separate dining rooms and a garden greenhouse. They also cater to banquet, wedding and private parties.

By Phone: Yes
Online: Yes
Deposit Required: Yes
Package Rates: Yes
Corporate Rates: Yes
Cancellation Policy: Yes

Accommodations & Parking

Wheelchair / Handicap Accessible? Yes
Pets Allowed? Yes
Private Parking? Yes
Municipal/Street Parking? Yes

6383 Mill Street
Rhinebeck, NY 12572

Phone & Reservations

Dinner Reservations
(845) 876-1766

Tavern Hours
Tavern is open Sun-Thurs from 11:30am – 9pm and 11:30am – 10pm on Fri and Sat.
Sunday open at 10am for brunch.



Social Media